Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Big Finish!

This week I finished making this beautiful purple, lavender, and white rag quilt. I had several major setbacks getting this custom order finished, but had the most generous and patient customer to work with so I am thankful for that. The biggest setback was that my old sewing machine locked up and I was not able to sew with it. My 30 year old backup machine needs work too, and it slowed me down trying to use it. So I ended up buying a new Juki sewing machine and so glad that I did. I have some big plans now for my sewing future.....but let me get back to this beauty!
 
 
Here are the stacks of minky fabric ready to sew. I used Warm and White quilt batting for the center.
 


I had ordered a few chenille fabrics to blend in (white chenilles are vintage) and here are all the sandwiches with the "X" quilting.




The big finish.....this is a TWIN size quilt on a QUEEN size bed. 


I love how it turned out.



 
 
This is a corner of what the backing looks like.


 
 
More of the back.
 
One side note that I wanted to mention is that I had no idea how heavy this rag quilt would end up. I think know that in the future I will omit the layer of batting in the middle. After clipping this one I had a hard upper body workout shaking the lint off of it outside. The chenille and minky are both fairly heavy by themselves....lesson learned!
 
Thanks for reading my blog.....I am off to sew a Rag Quilted Bible Cover now.


No comments: