Saturday, November 20, 2010

Traditional Quilt Blues and Whites


Creation #47
Inspired by the "Heavenly Blues" By Yolanda V. Fundora
in the Holiday Issue 2010 of The Quilter Magazine


Shhhhh! This is actually for my MIL!

This fall I have been skimming through several quilt magazines looking for ideas for gift giving. My MIL's kitchen is decked out in the blue/white dishes and decor, so when I came across this picture in the magazine my thoughts instantly went to her!

Knowing this was what I was going to make for her, I have been collecting remnants in blues/whites lately. Just enough to complete this as a wall hanging.

Last night I cut all the squares and today did all the sewing.

I used 4.5" squares for this.


Once I had the four corner blocks sewn I decided to change the overall pattern from the magazine a bit. I added in the white cross in the middle as an afterthought. I am not good at doing appliqued pieces, so this was a way out of it!

I follow a blog on free-motion quilting, The Free Motion Quilting Project, and was very tempted to use a cross pattern she had blogged about. So I did.....

Lets just say the 35" x 35" wall hanging was a success. I finished the free-motion quilting tonight. Yay! Another finish all the way through! Except for the binding, which I will do later this week.

This was hard on my back and shoulders moving the quilt around, so I think the next free motion pattern I use will be a bigger pattern!

Thread is out too, so I must replenish before I can sew again! :(

Anyhoo this was fun and different from my usual rag quilting projects.

Happy sewing!




No comments: