Monday, February 16, 2009

Goodbye to Soft Drinks

This is such an off the wall topic, but I am proud of it and wanted to share. I have always, since I was a kid, had a keen addiction to soft drinks, particulary Dr. Pepper. I have not ever been a fan of diet soft drinks either and always wanted the real thing. I would have at least 1 DP a day since I can remember when.

During our Texas trip right after Christmas, I had tons of DP because that is what DH and the in-laws drink too. It was very accessable in their house which was a bad thing for me!! LOL

Well when I got back to work at my high school, one of my student-athletes and I were discussing New Year's Resolutions. He had mentioned that last year his was going to give up drinking pop and he made the entire year. So on New Years Day he celebrated with a 2-liter. Well he still does not drink pop. He said he just feels better without it...and now that it is a habit why change back?

So it got me thinking that it would not be that hard to quit drinking pop. I was interested to find out how much better I would feel with eliminating it from my diet. So Sunday January 11, 2009 I officially quit drinking soft drinks. Today is day 37. I have increased my coffee intake though...so my next hurdle is quitting the caffiene.

I think it was alot easier than I anticipated. I just needed to make the change and stick to it. So far so good and I don't plan to start up again!

3 comments:

Sonja Pauly said...

Hey, I just want to congratulate you on giving up soda. You are setting a great example for others.

Phosphoric acid, a major component in most sodas is associated with osteoarthritis.

Phosphorus itself is an important bone mineral. But if you're getting a disproportionate amount of phosphorus compared to the amount of calcium you're getting, that could lead to bone loss.

Unknown said...

Congrats and good luck to you! I quit from time to time but it is my only caffeine intake since I don't drink coffee.

You've inspired me. I should try switching back to iced-tea; I don't use much sugar in my tea.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I wish I could give up soda......but then how would I enjoy my rum/coke's? (I know you are laughing. I am too, b/c that sounds so bizarre.) I don't drink that many rum/coke's tho, so I guess I should give it a try.